Wednesday 1 February 2012

Determined to get Crafty!

I have a friend who crafts A LOT with her 2 kids (both girls I hasten to add).  I am always in awe of all of their creations, and the enthusiasm and vigour that my friend seems to maintain throughout any 'arty' activity.  I, on the other hand, find it realllllllly hard to obtain the appropriate amount of enthusiasm needed.  This isn't helped by the fact that Dexter (the 2.5 year old) is not one for sitting down for any length of time and concentrating on a project, and almost invariably winds his sister up by encroaching on her masterpiece and 'helping out' - (ie scribbling on it!).

Anyhow, fuelled by a post by A Boy with Aspergers blog I decided to make a conscious effort to sit down with the kids and actually complete a crafting session.  I asked Keani what her favourite food was and together we sat down and discussed it and she started drawing her 'ice cream, cakes and sprouts' (quite a diverse mix - well, the sprouts anyway!).  Dexter helped out by gluing and sticking on the 'sprinkles'.  And actually the session worked out pretty well, I was really impressed with Keani's writing, as normally I struggle to get her to write, but I think because it was something she was really interested in (she totally loves her food) she felt more compelled to write.

So voila! Here is Keani's (aged 4) entry into the Appliances Online 'Yummy Food Competition' as hosted by A Boy with Aspergers blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment